Online Phonics Program
Sample Lesson: Click to Play
Grade 2: phonics. Learn about consonant digraphs in outer space with Capt. Armstrong.
Grade 2: Phonics
Learn about consonant digraphs in outer space with Capt. Armstrong.
Phonics is fundamental to reading success
Phonics is understanding how letters are used to make sounds and words. Kids learn to ‘sound out’ words and begin reading.
Our online phonics program for kids has over 200 tutorials and activities, teaching children systematic and predictable relationships between written letters and spoken words.
4 Year Olds Welcome
Preschoolers learning to read for the first time can use our phonics program. Our online phonics lessons are short (typically 5 minutes) so kids don’t lose focus.
Kindergarten Phonics starts with learning the alphabet. Children learn each letter by associating it with words starting with the same sound.
Our online phonics program help students master:
We place your child at the right instruction level
K5 kids start by completing a free online reading assessment which we use to place them in phonics lessons at their skill level, avoiding the boredom and frustration associated with lessons that are too easy or too hard.
We don’t forget about phonemic awareness
Our program also includes assessment and online lessons in phonemic awareness to ensure that your child has the necessary sound recognition skills, a critical building block to mastering phonics.
Interactivity + immediate feedback = effective learning
Our lessons are visually rich and highly interactive, using animated ‘role model’ characters, immediate feedback and positive reinforcement to provide a positive learning experience for your child.
200+ phonics activities online:
- identifying letters and sounds
- identifying beginning, medial and ending sounds and their letter patterns
- making and breaking apart words
- word-sorting activities
- sound cueing
- applying phonetic principles in the context of sentences, stories, and other forms of text
- counting and identifying syllables
- reading strategies using graphophonic (visual), semantic (meaning), and syntactic (structural) cues to identify unknown words
- self-correction and self-monitoring strategies
Teaching kids to use phonics skills strategically
K5 focuses on teaching children to use phonics skills strategically in the context of sentences and stories. We emphasize using different strategies to identify unknown words.
- Grade 1: kids are taught how to use letter, sound, semantic and language-based cues to figure out unknown words.
- Grade 2: kids are taught the “Tricky Word Strategy” to figure out difficult words by re-reading sentences and using what they know about letters and sounds and the context of the sentence.
- Grade 3 +: kids are taught how to check their reading using various cues and self-monitoring.